TRIO Student Support Services
TRIO Student Support Services serves first-generation college students, Pell Grant eligible students, or students who have a documented physical or learning disability. TRIO Student Support Services awards scholarships to program participants who actively participate in the program and demonstrate financial need.Program Services
Program services include:
- Academic, Career and Financial Aid Advising
- Computer Lab with FREE academic printing
- Cultural enrichment activities (trips, theater, concerts, etc.)
- Graduate School Preparation and Graduate School Visits
- FREE Professional and Peer Tutoring
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Student Employment Opportunities
- Student Sessions covering a wide array of topics such as study skills, financial aid, test anxiety, time management, etc..
Any undergraduate student who:
- is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- has been accepted for enrollment at WVU Tech in a four-year degree program;
- meets one or more of the following federal criteria:
- is a first generation college student (neither father, mother or legal guardian(s) has graduated from a four-year institution)
- is eligible for financial aid following guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Education. Click here for income guidelines.
- is a student with a documented sensory, psychological, learning, or physical disability. Such disabilities must be documented with the Office of Disability Services.
Joining TRIO SSS
Students can apply to become a participant in the TRIO SSS program at any point in their undergraduate career (freshman to senior) and at any point in the semester. Participation in the program is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students will be admitted based upon eligibility and availability of open slots in the program. Please see our brochure for additional information.
Visit TRIO Student Support Services in Old Main Room 309 to apply or you can download the application: 2016-17 SSS Application
TRIO SSS provides intensive tutoring opportunities for program participants including professional math tutoring, one-on-one peer tutoring and drop-in tutoring. TRIO SSS program participants can sign up for tutoring with their Advisor.
During the 2014-15 grant year, the TRIO SSS program at WVU Tech:
- Retained 85% of program participants from one academic year to the next. The approved rate by the United States Department of Education was 65%.
- Had 88% of program participants in good academic standing at the institution. The approved rate by the United States Department of Education was 65%.
- Had a graduation rate of 45% for participants who entered the program during the 2008-09 academic year. The approved rate by the United States Department of Education was 40%.
History of Student Support Services and TRIO
If you would like to know more about the history of TRIO and SSS, please visit the Council for Opportunity in Education’s website.